[vox] server software

Harold Lee harold3 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 23:19:42 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM,  <netuser at ainet.com> wrote:
> I am tasked with updating a Intel Xeon computer to a server. Since being
> introduced to Linux, I want Linux server software.
> Recommendations??

I recommend Ubuntu server edition (
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition ). I
recommend Ubuntu because they've been doing a lot of good work on
usability, because the apt-get command is a great way to
install/upgrade software, and also because they've been keeping
packages up to date.

> Server will be used for access to templates for data input. Computers accessing
> server are Windows based (someday they will see the light!). What software
> to use (as a front-end??) so users see Windows screen?

If you just need to put up some HTML web pages and allow users to
download files, then all you need is the Apache web server (aka
httpd). Do you want to do other things too? Like hosting a wiki,
forums, an email server or other things?