[vox] Sieve

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Wed Oct 7 22:07:18 PDT 2009

Wes Hardaker wrote:

> BB> Some examples:
>
> Thanks for the examples.  I've actually been wanting to switch to sieve
> for quite some time, but haven't looked into setup, etc.  Your examples
> were useful if for nothing else in poking me further in that direction.

Great.

> Is it powerful enough to do commands like this procmail rule, which
> splits mailing lists into common folder names:

No.  Specifically you can't call command line anything, in many cases that
would be a security issue.  Last thing I want is users with email addresses
being able to run random commands on my mail server.

However, writing sieve config files is rather easy, so a small
perl/python/shell script could easy take a list of strings and generate a rule
for each.

There's a table at:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

That gives what commands are implemented by dovecot's implementation and CMUs
implementation.    Of course just because the SIEVE server supports a given
feature that doesn't mean your favorite client for it does.  I edit mine
directly but there are various tools to help you edit them.