[vox] [fwd] URGENT: VCF Archives Needs Your Help Moving

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun May 17 15:57:23 PDT 2009

In case anyone out this way has some spare time and muscle...

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Sellam Ismail <sellam at vintagetech.com> -----

Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:08:58 -0700
From: sellam at vintagetech.com (Sellam Ismail)
Subject: URGENT: VCF Archives Needs Your Help Moving

Dear VCF Fans,

Due to a saga which is all too recently obnoxious to relate in full,
it has come to be that the Vintage Computer Festival Archives must be
moved to a new location within the next two weeks (by May 31).

Now, it was known well in advance that this move was coming.  This was
not the result of a sudden budgetary dislocation that has thrown me
into immediate disarray, so the collection is not in any imminent
danger.  However, economic dislocation is playing a big part, and the
move was ultimately inspired by the need for cheaper space in which to
store the VCF Archives and run VintageTech.

And so what should have been arrangments that were nailed down weeks
ago only finally culminated this morning.  Now, a new location forty
minutes away from the current VCF headquarters but more than twice the
size awaits the voluminous stream of vintage computers with a vacant
belly and a voracious appetite.

The move is still possible within the timeframe but only if I can get
help.  I could use at least 3 or 4 people everyday for the next two
weeks.  I'm basically going to stuff everything that can be into boxes
and then everything will get stacked on pallets, loaded onto a truck
by forklift, and then transported to the new location where the same
process will occur in reverse.  So most of the assistance is merely in
the form of stuffing boxes (carefully) with stuff and stacking pallets
with boxes and bigger stuff (carefully).

If you can be of any help from this Sunday afternoon onwards, any time
of the day, any day of the week, for any amount of time, be it one
half hour or a gruelling 10 hour shift, please do contact me.  I can
use all the help I can muster up.

In the new location, the VCF Archives will be completely re-catalogued
and photographed.  The intent is to finally make the full VCF Archives
available for perusal online, as well as to organize the physical
collection in an efficient and logical manner to facilitate the use of
archive materials by researchers and hobbyists (like you!)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

My warmest regards,

Sellam Ismail
Schlepper
Vintage Computer Festival Archives