[vox] CA Department of Education Web Site Makeover--Free or OSS Ideas Requested

Kevin Schultz schultkl at ieee.org
Sun May 3 13:42:03 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

The California Department of Education (my current employer) has begun
planning for a 2010 web site makeover (http://www.cde.ca.gov). Please
respond by next Sunday, May 10. I will compile the suggestions and send them
along internally.

All suggestions welcome! :) While moving them to purely open-source or free
software alternatives may not be possible, I would like to be "at the table"
with suggestions for their consideration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

*Hard Constraints*

   - Section 508 compliance (for example, http://www.section508.gov/)

   - Expectation to last ~five years

*Current Architecture (Perhaps Open to Changing?)***

   - Currently use Macromedia Contribute (
   http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/) to allow divisions to handle
   their own web content

   - ASP