[vox] [fwd] Peachpit User Group Partner Program News: March 2009

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Mar 24 17:20:08 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Peachpit Press <usergroups at peachpit.com> -----

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:51:11 -0400
From: "Peachpit Press" <usergroups at peachpit.com>
Subject: Peachpit User Group Partner Program News: March 2009
To: <root at lugod.org>

March 2009

Trouble viewing this message? Click here.
http://www.peachpit.com/content/downloads/peachpit/UserGroupNews/PPUGNews_March2009.html

   Dear User Group members,

   This month we have a little taste for almost every flavor of group. For our
   Mac groups we have two _Apple Training Series: iLife_ books covering the new
   generation of digital lifestyle apps in iLife '09.

   Legendary magazine photographer Joe McNally is back with _The Hot Shoe
   Diaries_, a treat for Photography groups looking to make great images using
   a flash. Also, the treats just keep coming--Martin Evening's cool new video
   will answer the question, "How black should I make my blacks?"

   Web design and development groups should check out _When Search Meets Web
   Usability_, which will explain the "How" of search optimization and the
   "Why" of Web usability.

   Photoshop Hall-of-Famer, Ben Willmore, is back with _Adobe Photoshop CS4
   Studio Techniques_. This time he brought along a friend, Dan Ablan, an
   accomplished photographer and 3D animator. Together they will give you an
   in-depth understanding of how Photoshop works, cutting through the fat to
   focus on what they consider to be Photoshop's essential features.

   Jackie Hill
   usergroups at peachpit.com
   800.283.9444 x129

Special Announcements

   _PEACHPIT 2009 CATALOG_

   Our new Peachpit 2009 catalog, packed with page after page of great training
   books, eBooks, Rough Cuts, online video, Short Cuts, and more, is now
   available! If you need some for your next meeting send an email to
   usergroups at peachpit.com with your quantity. You can also [4]download an
   electronic copy now, at http://www.peachpit.com/catalog.

   _SAVE IN MARCH AT BARNES & NOBLE_

   Save 30% off list price on select Visual QuickStart Guides from Barnes &
   Noble Booksellers and on http://www.bn.com through 3/31/09.

   _Bonus Offer:_ Send us your receipt number and we'll give you a free video
   of Top 5 Features of _Photoshop CS4: Video QuickStart Guide_! Simply e-mail
   your B&N receipt number to peachpit at peachpit.com. Please be sure to
   provide the e-mail address associated with your Peachpit.com account. If you
   don't already have an account, go to http://www.peachpit.com/register to sign up and
   let us know which e-mail address you used, so we can add the video to your
   Account page.

   _SECRETS OF THE BLACKS SLIDER IN LIGHTROOM 2_

   Peachpit author Martin Evening, of _The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book:
   The Complete Guide for Photographers_, has just posted a really cool new
   video to Lightroom-News.com: http://lightroom-news.com/2009/03/09/how-black-are-your-blacks

   The movie clip is all about how much to safely clip the blacks when working
   with different types of images, as well as how the black clipping point you
   set in Lightroom relates to the black clipping point of the print output
   process. The answer to the question "how black should I make my blacks?" may
   be easier than you think.

   _SNEAKING UP ON SNOW LEOPARD_

   We want to whet your appetite a bit and give you a sneak peak at the Snow
   Leopard titles we're working on:
     * _Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Peachpit Learning Series_ by Robin Williams
       and John Tollett
     * _Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Visual QuickStart Guide_ by Maria Langer
     * _Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Pocket Guide_
     * _The Little Mac Book, Snow Leopard Edition_ by Robin Williams

   Sorry we don't have confirmed release dates yet, but stay tuned for more
   announcements in upcoming e-newsletters.

   _SEARCH AND ACCESS DESIGN AND TECH BOOKS ONLINE OR ON YOUR PHONE_

   Safari Books Online is now fully optimized to support the top mobile devices
   in the United States. Get searchable access to thousands of the best design
   and technology resources online, and now search and access more than 6,500
   mobile-friendly books directly from your BlackBerry, Nokia, Windows Mobile,
   and iPhone smartphone or mobile device!

   Get 15 Days Free Plus 15% Off for a Limited Time:
     http://www.safaribooksonline.com/peachpit/mobile/?cid=200903-peachpit-ug-mobile

   _VOICES THAT MATTER: WEB DESIGN CONFERENCE_

   _EXCLUSIVE USER GROUP DISCOUNT:_ Save $200 when you register by using the
   User Group Priority Code _WBVSGNS_!

   Join our top Web design authors on April 27-30, at the Grand Hyatt in San
   Francisco, where they'll bring their years of experience and knowledge to
   the _Voices That Matter: Web Design Conference_. They will lead lively and
   interactive discussions with the hundreds of Web designers in attendance,
   answering questions, sharing experiences and helping you find new
   inspiration. Speakers include Steve Krug, Marty Neumeier, Sandra Niehaus and
   Stephanie Sullivan, just to name a few.

   Visit http://www.voicesthatmatter.com/webdesign2009 for a complete list of
   speakers. Join us in San Francisco and become one of the voices that matter!

   _ON PEACHPIT.COM_

   New articles:
     * Using Project Windows in QuarkXpress 8
       By Kelly Kordes Anton, John Cruise
       http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1327265

     * Embedding Live Data in Dreamweaver CS4
       By David Karlins
       http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1325261

     * Retouching Blemishes in Adobe Photoshop CS4
       By Chris Orwig
       http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1326508

     * Keyframe Interpolation in Adobe After Effects CS4
       By Antony Bolante
       http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1327260

   Check out what's available now on Peachpit TV"
     http://www.peachpit.com/podcasts

Upcoming Conferences/Author Appearances

   _PHOTOSHOP WORLD CONFERENCE AND EXPO_
   March 25-27, 2009
   John B. Hynes Convention Center
   Boston, MA
   http://www.photoshopworld.com

   Come check us out in the Peachpit/NAPP official bookstore in booth #100, where
   you can peruse our latest Photoshop and photography books. You'll also get
   the chance to explore all of the latest Photoshop plug-ins, digital cameras,
   scanners, printers, imaging software, hardware, storage devices, and new
   Photoshop-related peripherals from some of the key players in the market.

   _SOCIETY FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC EDUCATION_
   March 26-29, 2009
   Fairmont Dallas Hotel
   Dallas, TX
   http://www.spenational.org/conference/conf2009

   The 2009 SPE National Conference will convene in Dallas, taking up the theme
   of "Sprawl." Sprawl is a physical manifestation of civic growth and
   population migration, housing developments and "big-box" retail parks. The
   2009 SPE National Conference will feature image-makers, historians, critics,
   and curators to illuminate the visual and cultural complexities of Sprawl as
   a defining concept and reality of our twenty-first century public
   experience. Come check out our booth, #43, at the Exhibits Fair, which will
   run Friday and Saturday.

   _NORMAN HOLLYN_
   Apple Store, San Francisco
   http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco
   Saturday, April 4, 2009
   1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
   1 Stockton St.
   San Francisco, CA 94108

   Join Peachpit author Norman Hollyn at the Apple Store in San Francisco on
   Saturday, April 4, from 1-2 p.m. He will give a presentation on his
   groundbreaking book, _The Lean Forward Moment: Create Compelling Stories
   for Film, TV, and the Web_ (http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321585453).

   Norman Hollyn is an Associate Professor and head of the film editing track
   at the School of Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California. As
   a picture editor and music editor, Norman has worked on a range of projects
   in film and television, with Hollywood greats such as Alan J. Pakula, Sidney
   Lumet, and Francis Ford Coppola.

   _NABSHOW_
   April 20-23, 2009
   Las Vegas Convention Center
   Las Vegas, NV
   http://www.nabshow.com

   During the show, make your way to the Official Bookstore where some of our
   well-known authors like Diana Weynand, Stu Maschwitz, and Larry Jordan will
   be signing books. For a full listing of authors and scheduled times, go to
   http://www.peachpit.com/events.

New Releases

   _Digital Photography_

   The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes
   By Joe McNally
   List Price: $39.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321580141

   The Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers
   By Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski
   List Price: $49.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321565959

   _E-commerce_

   Online Communities Handbook: Building your business and brand on the Web
   By Anna Buss and Nancy Strauss
   List Price: $34.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321605888

   _iLife 09_

   Apple Training Series: iLife 09
   By Michael E. Cohen, Michael Wohl, Richard Harrington, and Mary Plummer
   List Price: $39.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321618505

   Apple Training Series: iWork 09
   By Richard Harrington
   List Price: $39.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321618513

   _Image Editing_

   Adobe Photoshop CS4 Studio Techniques
   By Ben Willmore
   List Price: $54.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321613104

   _Web Design & Development/Programming_

   A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers In the Field
   or In the Making
   By Russ Unger and Carolyn Chandler
   List Price: $34.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321607376

   When Search Meets Web Usability
   By Shari Thurow and Nick Musica
   List Price: $29.99
   http://www.peachpit.com/title/0321605896

Monthly Book Selection

   Please visit Peachpit.com to select your free monthly book. Remember, we
   will accept book requests for up to two weeks after you receive the monthly
   newsletter. Be sure to get your requests in by the deadline, so you can
   continue to enjoy great books for free!
   http://www.peachpit.com/user_groups/book.aspx

   Select the operating state for your group and click Submit. (NOTE: Groups
   outside the United States and Canada should select OTHER as their operating
   state. It's found in the O section as opposed to at the end of the list).
   Select your group name from the pull-down menu and fill in ALL the required
   fields that follow. Please do not forget to include your phone number as
   this is now required for shipping.

   ***PLEASE NOTE!*** INCOMPLETE REQUESTS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED

   If you experience any problems with the form, you can submit your monthly
   book selection directly to usergroups at peachpit.com.

For Groups New to our User Group Program

   _USER GROUP COUPON CODE_

   We provide your group members with a 35% discount off the list price of any
   of our books. At checkout, right before entering their credit card
   information, they must enter the user group coupon code _UE-23AA-PEUF_
   (case-sensitive). This coupon code is an exclusive offer that may not be
   used in conjunction with any other coupon codes.

   _PEARSON AFFILIATE PROGRAM_

   Your user group is a valued member of our Pearson community, and we would
   like to extend an invitation to you to join and earn money for your group.
   Learn more and join at http://www.peachpit.com/affiliates.

   _BULK ORDERS_

   We have transitioned Peachpit's User Group bulk sales management to our
   Corporate Sales department. All bulk order requests should be directed to
   our Corporate Sales professionals. Groups will not be restricted to ordering
   a certain number of titles, but rate is set on a sliding scale based on
   quantity ordered.

   Please e-mail any inquiries to corpsales at pearsoned.com and include your
   group name, city, and state. A representative for your region of the country
   will contact you to set up your account, obtain your order, and answer
   questions on discounts.

   _BOOKS FOR REVIEW_

   Requests for books to review should be sent to usergroups at peachpit.com
   and come from the group leader only.

   Your e-mail should list the following information IN THE FORMAT THAT
   FOLLOWS:

   ??? GROUP NAME/YOUR NAME
   ??? ADDRESS
   ??? PHONE
   ??? QUANTITY
   ??? ISBN AND TITLE

   Members have 90 days to complete a review, post it on the group's Web site
   or in your UG newsletter (if applicable), and send it to us.

   We also ask that reviewers try to post their reviews to Web sites such as
   Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders. We value the fact that you can share
   your opinions in other public forums!

   © 2009 Pearson Education, Peachpit Press. All rights reserved.
   1249 Eighth Street, Berkeley, CA 94710
----- End forwarded message -----