[vox] Advertising LUGOD on Unitrans?

G Fitzgerald gfitzgerald1024 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 21:41:42 PDT 2009

I _very_ strongly feel this would be an irresponsible use of our funds.
My thoughts echo Bill Ward's: To be blunt, I think we'd significantly
decrease funding which has taken years to build, and I think we'd
draw very few "new" people (certainly few who would "stay" long-term),
and it would likely be years before we recovered the expenditure.

Assuming our balance is roughly $960

$960
-$100 to be on-hand at all times to avoid fees: $860
-$60 (annually) for required post office box       $800
-$505 for advertising:                                     $295

1) In my opinion, I doubt it would significantly increase our revenues.
Assuming we average around $20 intake per meeting, it would take
us more than 25 months, or 2 years, just to break even and recoup
the expenditure.

2) If it were very successful, we couldn't handle the increased
attendees. Consider our new meeting location can only
accommodate a maximum of 30 people. We typically get a
decent showing, and if we got another 10 - 15 people, we would have
difficulty accommodating them.

3) It leaves us _very_ unprepared for future expenses.
What if the new meeting location changes its mind/changes ownership?
What if the library construction runs longer than anticipated? (Doesn't
construction almost always run longer than anticipated?)

We could find ourselves having to pay for meeting locations in short
order, and this would likely be a challenge, even with our current funds.
Assuming we could get a room for $50 per month, we'd need $600 of the
$860 we have available just to meet for a year, not including expenses.

If the projector bulb dies, or the projector itself dies, we could be looking
at several hundred dollars in expenditures.

4) There are free, and more efficient ways to market ourselves:
Twitter's free, social networking sites are free. Maybe volunteer in the
community, offer to present on campus, ask a professor or two to mention
us in classes as an organization where students can learn, and take on
leadership/organizational responsibilities - they can help organize meetings,
find speakers, improve their own speaking skills, work as a team, etc.

Respectfully, I must _strongly_, _strongly_ advise against this. I'd be
more than happy to brainstorm alternative ways to increase attendance,
etc. There is no need to do this now, and doing so, in my opinion,
places the financial future of the group in jeopardy, possibly leaving us
unable to pay for necessary expenses such as meeting locations.

Thank You,
Greg FitzGerald