[vox] Easy Email Encryption

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue Jan 13 13:44:29 PST 2009

This still looks tricky. This basically means you have to mail your friend
a set of keys. Quite frankly, I would like to see a talk where someone
demos using Evolution with GPG integrated. I would think it would be
much easier to set up Evolution with your friend to automatically use
a certificate you generated. Or, better yet, a KNOPPIX thumb drive you
use to manage GPG signing.

Encryption is tricky to do right. This last semester we were able to
crack an AES cipher because of the way it was padded and the Cipher
Block Chaining that was used to perform the encryption and that there
was an Oracle that would tell us if it received a properly encrypted
message. This was a "in-class" exercise, but I am sure if our professor,
Dr. Krovetz, hadn't pointed it out, I would have walked right around it.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:14:30AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Hey I just wanted to share an easy general-purpose method for
> email (and other) encryption that I ran across:
>
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/javascrypt/
>
> "Easy" means you don't have to install any special software, and
> you don't have to deal with the complexities of public key
> cryptography.  It's a nice solution when there are one or two
> other people with whom you want to ensure email privacy, and
> they are not very computer-literate.
>
> Very few people use encryption these days, and I'm sure that is
> mostly about the difficulty and inconvenience of doing so.
>
> Especially with the popularity of email services controlled by
> large corporations, I think it behooves all of us to assert our
> right to privacy.  Rights that are not exercised have a way of
> disappearing.
>
> Rod

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/