[vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

Ted Deppner ted at psyber.com
Tue Jan 6 18:00:10 PST 2009

iscsi is "cool", but is, IMHO, often not worth the effort.  I've done
extensive iSCSI using NetAPP and some NFS too, and performance wise you
can't really tell a difference (and we're not offloading or doing jumbo
frames either and we can still saturate gig links).  NFS is just tons easier
to grok and manage.  iSCSI works, it's just more rigid... you have to
preallocate everything, and if you loose connectivity iSCSI will fault the
disk, while NFS can either block or recover depending on your choices.
Also, IMHO, anyone touting offloading is using windows and not a beefy OS
like linux or ESX (or they've contrived loads).

I've looked these two about a year ago, openfiler (buggy and incomplete),
and drbd (incomplete, but very promising and a neat HA option using
commodity hardware).

That said, this little device just looks cool.  Low power, easy, portable,
etc.  And yet nicely functional.
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nasu2.asp