[vox] Dual Head Kiosk (of sorts)

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Wed Feb 25 06:25:30 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:45:23PM -0800, John McDonnell wrote:
> idea to use Linux in place of Windows for one of our products -
> basically a browser running full screen showing pages for information
> display. Now comes the tough part - making it happen. What it needs to
> do is boot up to a pair of full screen browsers showing preset pages.

One of my quotes:
"Dont use Linux if you want to ask a guestion and get an answer.
Use linux if you like asking a question and getting 100 answers on 100 different ways of doing it."

Im the low-tech guy in this group but:
dont most browser accept an initial URL on the command line?
If not then you can always make it the startup page.

Is it JUST info or is it something fancier and more eye-catching? If its just info you might go with something lower tech and save some headaches. Maybe Gopher and SGML instead of HTML. Or maybe use INFO.

Do the two browsers need to be cross-conversing? You could setup a cgi on one that would update a short-refresh page that the other one is looking at.

Gandalf  Parker
--
Unix begat CP/M which begat DOS.
Linux? Linux is a stepchild of Unix.