[vox] Few topics from a new fellow..

Baptiste o.w.i.m.ooo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:13:08 PST 2009

Thanx to Bill 'kendrick', I might have found how to write emails to a
mailing list of linux users..

I hope it will work though..
It seems to be the same process here than for the BALUG mailing list, where
I didn't get any answer.

anyway.

Here is the first mail I sent, followed by sentences about Linux I wrote in
an essay. I'd like to know what you think of those..
The essay is about the principle of open sources as applied to the education
system.
It's not scientific.. it's for an eng.1A class....

#1 - the first mail I sent

"welcome to me & few other questions.."

Hi there,

I just arrived in the bay area and I'm going to stay for a while. I come
from belgium where I was organizing the linux weekly meeting in brussels
last year. I don't know much about programming in linux though. But I guess
I found you, gigs, again.

I'd like to start with few questions about the way it works over here:

- what is this mailling list all about?
- is it the right place for the kind of message I'm writing right now?
- Do I reach most of the community of the bay area through this mailling
list or should I suscribe to few others?

Then, since I came as light as I could, one of the first thing I need to do
is to buy a laptop - to take notes in class and use extensively internet and
skype, mainly.
I'd like it small, light, cheap (rather with hardware driver though), and
with ubuntu (yes, I don't want to spend my days with debian..) and windows
xp (pirat).

- do you know the best places around to find that kind of thing? Maybe on
internet. Maybe a place where they sell hardware without operating system..
Or a good way to get used pc, but in shape.
- do you know where I could meet you guys - e.g. to get this windows xp, and
other issues that will come with this new machine.

Thank you for all these inforamtion.
& see you soon!

baptiste

Parts of my essay:

<< * Linux, as an operating system, provides a more customizable environment
for knowledgeable users, by opposition to *Apple's Mac OS* and *Microsoft
Windows*. Even though it isn't as famous, it is widely used for
organizations that need secured and specific settings of computer
networks.>>

- this is a footnote in my text. The aim is to connect it to something the
reader might know.

**
+ *can I say: **Google** increases its power by opening its sources??
*Is it right to say *opening their sources here?
*
or is it right to say :     "Open source systems"

Thank you so much!

baptiste