[vox] How was Explorit?

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Tue Aug 18 20:21:48 PDT 2009

ericengelhard at comcast.net wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Brian Lavender" <brian at brie.com>
>> Perhaps two new game developers? ;-)
>
> I'm trying.

Funny that you mention that.  I'm starting a new project of an old tank
simulation.  It's built on a fairly common idea:
* Map of water, mountains, plains, and forests
* Fog of War (you can't see enemies unless they are close and you are looking
  in the right direction)
* Capture the flag/base or all enemies
* 7 Tanks per team, and a base.
* Chance of a successfully shooting the enemy depend on distance,
  speed (of both shooter and target), if you are changing directions, etc.

The unique parts:
* The teams of 7 tanks are controlled by computer program (although there's
  no reason a human client couldn't be written)
* Was designed for research into AI for use in military strategy
* Guns don't have to be aimed, just pointing in the right quadrant.

In any case, it seems like a good way to get your feet wet, much easier to
implement part of an already designed game than it is to start from scratch.

If anyone is helping I suspect we could find a way to cooperate, either at the
 function by function level (pick and choose what you want to implement), or
at a larger scale (client, server, path finding, LoS calcs, etc.)

I have full spec for all the details, protocol, formulas, movement rules, etc.

Doesn't seem like the right place to discuss this, feel to contact me off list.