[vox] [fwd] The Death of Linuxworld

Joseph Arruda joseph.arruda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 23:29:02 PDT 2009

The hyperbole aside, the show was neither good nor bad.  It was dull,
but there were vendors there doing thing useful to 'the enterprise'
(which in this economy is the only people worth attracting). 'the
enterprise' tends to be dull to most LUG folken (if we are being
remotely honest).

Now, that being said, the show was otherwise lackluster, but some
vendors (Cloudera particularly) looked interesting, but I am biased
because we are entertaining playing with Hadoop where I work now.  I
liked seeing Talend and SQLStream, etc.  But I am coming from the
position of someone looking at actual offerings for my own projects that
I manage.

There were vendors I though had interesting but otherwise moot offerings
(i.e. Cubetree, which could just as well be replaced by Wordpress MU
with some additional plugins or with an adapted GForge/Joomla/Drupal
rig), but lets face it, the real reason I went was to party with old VA
Linux alumni. :)

ja