[vox] Lugod Website Proposal

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Sep 8 18:53:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 06:48:47PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> The reason I prefer a CMS over ssh access, is the ability to quickly
> delegate and to allow the community to self initiate, with proper
> anti-bot protection of course.

I would want only members to be able to edit.  There are 400+ people
who have, at one point, decided to be a member of LUGOD.  We could (1) make
sure everyone's got their email address up-to-date in that list, and
(2) provide a mechanism for assigning people passwords.

i.e., Joe Schmo wants to edit lugod.org/sfd/.  They click Edit and are
asked to Login or Register if they haven't got an account.  They click
Register.  They enter their email address (as seen on the LUGOD members
list, if it's visible), and that address is sent a link for signing up
and entering a password.  (Or, more simply, assigned a password... the
whole 'Forgot password' system could be the same process in that case.)

I do worry about plaintext email and plaintext HTTP protocol for
authentication.  (I doubt we want to go the whole HTTPS route, as that's
even more junk to work on that I don't feel we have time for.)

But in any case, that'll prevent random people from editing the site.
Gotta be a member first.  (And, of course, people can continue to email
me, or fill out the form at meetings, to become a member.)

Does that seem sufficient?