[vox] Linux referenced in CNN article

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Oct 31 21:58:26 PDT 2008

Tim Riley wrote:
> CNN is reporting an increase in supply of Linux-based PCs from major
> manufacturers. See
> http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/29/pc-makers-move-closer-to-a-post-windows-world/
[...]

The other side of this story are the high return rates on Linux PCs. [1]
Many people have learned to pick up "cheap" software from OfficeMax
and when they can't use it they dump the computer. Two steps forward
and one step back.

Tangential comment: my wife wanted a Linux netbook, but the combination of
six-cell batteries, bluetooth, and preloaded Linux seemed limited to
manufacturer product descriptions... retailers were just not carrying them.
We ended up picking up an Eee 1000H and dual booting a small XP partition
(to maintain mfr support) and a big fat Ubuntu Netbook Remix partition
for everyday use.  The Linux competition has reduced the M$ tax... but the
market doesn't seem quite ready to let it go entirely.

[1]
http://www.osnews.com/story/20362/Canonical_Confirms_MSI_s_Linux_Return_Rate_Statement

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing