[vox] [LUGOD] Library

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 24 18:44:55 PDT 2008

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> I talked to the Davis Public Library about it briefly and they said they
> pretty much already have too many books and if we don't want them why
> should they? That they might be able to take a few books at first, but
> not a lot. On the other hand, they already have Cobol For Dummies (I
> checked it out once) and maybe a Wordperfect book, so some of our books
> aren't necessarily more obsolete than some of theirs. So we should sort
> it all out and, I think we should do it at a meeting, giving us the
> opportunity to pick books for ourselves and hopefully we can get one of
> the librarians to come too (we are at the Library after all). They do
> have some nice Linux books too, some donated through us.
Yes, the "Free to a good home" approach often works well.

The attitude of the library staff doesn't surprise me.  Since I'd gone
to UCR for three certifications
(one in Unix/Linux) I was going to donate a number of books to the
Science Library.  They had
a ho-hum attitude toward the donation, yet they had a lousy selection of
books on computing in
their collection; at least at the time that I made the offer.

That's the reason that I donated them to the local community college
where my wife is on the
faculty.  If nothing else, they can always sell them for a buck or two
when they sell off excess or
outdated books.

Perhaps the librarian at DPL doesn't know what you have.  After all, not
a lot about Unix and C
has changed much in the last few years; sort of like math books.

Jim