[vox] Fwd: Internet Services In Davis

Jacob Taylor orangewinds at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:06:44 PDT 2008

He raises a good point about the capping of filesharing type stuff. Though I
only have ~40k up, I run a home webserver (on top of linux iso
distribution), and messing with the torrents would be annoying, say nothing
of actually haveing enough bandwidth for the server :P

Last I saw the official att rate for residential 3.0ish line was 30-35, may
be higher/lower now.

I am considering moving to sonic if at&t tries to test their network
filtering(such as comcast did( the bittorrent rst packet snafu with
sandvine)). Their PR guy said earlier this year in a speach that they were
going to do internal mini tests of the filtering, to see if any of it was
feasable at a whole-network scale. If they decide it is, I'll be finding a
new ISP :D

-Jacob T.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM, webcrawler person <
webcrawler4242 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like you need at&t residential service, which is $28/month and
> sonic's 3-6mbit service is $35/month, but it says thats the introductory
> rate, I can't find the normal rate, anyone have any input? also are anyones
> torrents being capped, dropped, or anything like that?> Date: Wed, 19 Mar
> 2008 16:20:01 -0700> From: nbs at sonic.net> To: vox at lists.lugod.org>
> Subject: Re: [vox] Fwd: Internet Services In Davis> > On Wed, Mar 19, 2008
> at 09:53:49AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:> > I am also amazed at their
> MOTD. One, that they actually have one. Two, > > that they have it available
> in so many different ways. And Three, that > > they put so much information
> there. Most ISPs wont tell you things that > > went wrong if they think you
> wouldnt be able to tell it went wrong. > > Incredibly open and honest for an
> ISP.> > Agreed.  After dealing with them via a friend who had a site hosted>
> (and used their modem dialup), I decided they were the best.  So when I >
> moved to Davis and needed my own shell/web/email, I signed up for them,>
> even though they didn't, at the time, have dialup or DSL (wait, did that>
> exist then?) access anywhere NEAR Davis.> > I used them for DSL when I was
> in Mtn View, and am using Henry's DSL here> at home. :)> > -- > -bill!>
> bill at newbreedsoftware.com> http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/>

Godspeed Anon. Tacgnol be with you.
United as one. Divided by zero.
http://explodie.org/