[vox] [LUGOD] [Installfest] Major change idea

Steve Weiss stevew at bbenginc.com
Tue Aug 19 21:36:03 PDT 2008

I recently came across Chris' email below from 5/12 and wondered what
came of it. The addendum to his email suggests his idea for changing the
Installfest to an "Educational Workshop and Installfest" was not picked
up, perhaps for lack of interest or turnout. Well, I personally would
like to see educational workshops happen in one form or another and
think it might help boost turnout, especially if word gets out.

I think it would help new Linux users like me (especially
non-professionals and overloaded people) get up to speed more quickly
and let go of Windows. I have a number of issues with my system, and not
having time to figure them all out by myself has (I'm sad to say)
frequently kept me using Windows.

Here are some of the topics and specific issues I'm interested in:

*   System maintenance in general
*   Security
*   Managing software installation and repositories - proprietary vs open
*   Finding executables of newly installed software for setting up
shortcuts when the system has not done so.
*   Installing all the media players that Ubuntu doesn't come with
*   Font issues, including using the same ones Microsoft does so docs
look the same
*   Problems with Open Office and alternatives to it
*   Evince sends only error messages to printer, though other programs
print OK.
*   Problems w/print page setup, margins in general and in Firefox
*   Setting up VMWare or Virtualbox
*   System backup management. (I use Simple Backup now for my system
configuration but want to learn how to do other specific backup tasks,
including testing its backup data and process.)
*   Setting up a wireless router and laptop using WPA
*   Discussing/recommending additional software

If this doesn't happen formally, I'll come to Installfests anyway as I
can and pick up tips. Hey, maybe I'll even get to where I can help out.

-Steve