[vox] [fwd] Mapping California Communities - GIS Workshops Coming Up

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Aug 19 12:07:01 PDT 2008

Some GIS workshops in Sac and SJ in September, that folks in LUGOD might
be interested in (since we have some GIS/mapping geeks :) )

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from "Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research" <info at nur-online.com> -----

Date: Sat,  9 Aug 2008 06:47:19 +0200 (SAST)
From: "Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research" <info at nur-online.com>
Subject: Reminder: Mapping California Communities - GIS Workshops Coming Up
To: pr at lugod.org

   Mapping California Communities Workshop: An Introduction to GIS and
   Community Analysis
   8:30 am - 4:30 pm --- Note: These are One Day Workshops

   San Diego: August 26th, 2008
   Sacramento: September 18th, 19th, 2008
   Los Angeles: September 11th, 12th, 2008
   Irvine: September 9th, 2008
   San Jose: September 25th, 2008
   Fresno: October 3rd, 2008
   San Francisco: August 4th, 5th, 2008
   More Info/Online Registration   (www.nur-online.com)

   Audience: Beginners, anyone interested in mapping their community
   Participants will learn to use ArcGIS 9.3 to do the following:
   Creating thematic maps

   Participants will learn to create thematic maps of their own data,
   and display spatial trends in information.
   Address mapping (geocoding)

   Participants will learn to map addresses of their clients, their projects
   or incidents such as crime and disease.

   Download and map Census & American Community Survey data

   Participants will learn to extract and map current Census data such as
   poverty, race, language, population,
   transportation, education and workforce characteristics.

   Also participants will learn to:
   Conduct spatial queries
   Download free shapefiles
   Create well designed maps

   Mapping techniques transferable to all other communities. Exercises are
   designed for beginners. Intermediate Excel skills required.

   Materials
   + Comprehensive workbook (75 pages), which includes the presentation,
   exercises and reference worksheets,

   + ArcGIS (ArcView 9.3) software 60-day trial CD set,

   + Thirty day free access to new 2005 Tiger/Line geography files (converted
   to shapefiles) which include streets, zip codes, school districts, voting
   districts, census tracts and many other useful geographies

   + Thirty day free access to our Analyzing Your Community: Local
   Demographic Analysis Online Workshop

   What People Are Saying

   City of San Francisco: "One of the best computer training courses I've
   been to, lively, informative, good level of difficulty for target
   audience."

   California Cancer Registry: "The workshop was great! The instructor is
   very knowledgeable and helpful. I would definitely recommend this course
   to a new GIS user."

   UCLA: "This was such a great course! I appreciated the information on
   where to find useful data."

   Fresno City College: "This workshop was very informative and enlightening.
   It demonstrated very powerful tools and concepts that I will definitely be
   using in the future. The instructor was patient and gave a lot of
   technical insight to the product."

   New Urban Research, Inc. is a national social research organization
   specializing in quantitative and spatial community analysis.  NUR is an
   ESRI Business  Partner. New Urban Research, Inc. 33232 NE 33rd Ave
   Portland, Oregon 97212 | 877.241.6576 | www.nur-online.com