[vox] [LUGOD] Library

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue Apr 15 02:42:30 PDT 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Jim Lowman wrote:
> The attitude of the library staff doesn't surprise me. Since I'd
> gone to UCR for three certifications (one in Unix/Linux) I was going
> to donate a number of books to the Science Library. They had a
> ho-hum attitude toward the donation, yet they had a lousy selection
> of books on computing in their collection; at least at the time that
> I made the offer.

Yeah, that's generally because librarians don't always know enough
about different subject areas. [A lot of our (UCR's) collection is
based on lists of books that faculty tells the library to get.]

Also, in UCR (and most of the UC's) cases, we have almost all of the
useful general-consumption computing books available on campus
electronically anyway, so there's really no point in wasting shelf
space on them.

Don Armstrong

--
Grimble left his mother in the food store and went to the launderette
and watched the clothes go round. It was a bit like colour television