[vox] Fwd: [OT] new phishing, was: Subpoena in case #50-559-KLH

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Apr 14 15:18:57 PDT 2008

Larry tried to post this to 'vox' from a non-subscribed address, so I'm
forwarding it to the list on his behalf.

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from vox-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:42:05 -0700
From: "Larry Ozeran" <lozeran at clinicalinformatics.com>
Subject: [OT] new phishing, was: Subpoena in case #50-559-KLH
To: "vox" <vox at lists.lugod.org>

Hi all,

Though this is not an open source issue, I thought this would be of interest to some on the list. I received this email earlier today. It is very serious-looking, but clearly fraudulent. It is not legal to subpoena by email and there are typos in the bottom sentences. It appears close enough to legitimate that some people might be tempted to click the link (which I have not done) to find out what it is about or enter personal information. A lawyer suggested I forward to the California Dept of Justice and the State Bar, which I have done. Is there a group in the IT community that should be notified? This is the first time I have seen or heard of this type of scam.

Regards,

Larry

----- End forwarded message -----