[vox] Connecting to a 'headless' Windows box (Was re: OLPC XO ("$100 laptop") available to public)

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 25 15:22:55 PDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:42:26PM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> BTW: I regularly use Krdc (Remote Desktop) through a virtual private
> network connection.

But at least from what I understand from their home page, it wouldn't
solve the VNC problem I described, right?

> Nor would I ever use a public terminal to log into my
> home/office machine remotely... too much possibility of a keylogger.

Yes...

At UCB I think I'm pretty safe.  They are highly paranoid about
security.  For instance, they won't let you run any software from
a USB key, unlike the public terminals at UCD.

I've been doing this for years, and never had a problem.  I should
mention, though, that in actuality I run VNC on one of our instructional
machines. not my office machine, as a precaution.

Norm