[vox] Connecting to a 'headless' Windows box (Was re: OLPC XO ("$100 laptop") available to public)

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Tue Sep 25 10:43:40 PDT 2007

I am a frequent user of VNC.  I run the server on my Linux machine in my
office, and connect to it remotely from public terminals running
Windows, usually at the UCB libraries.

I tried the server once on a Windows machine.  Installation is extremely
easy.  However, I was very disappointed to find that it doesn't work the
same way it does on Linux.  On the latter, one gets a virtual console
which operates entirely independently of the physical one.  In other
words, if user X is physically at the console and I log in using VNC, my
virtual console is independent of what user X sees, and we don't
interfere with each other.  In the Windows case, my virtual console was
entirely in sync with the physical one, and what I did interfered
completely with user X.  That would be fine for the "headless" Windows
case being discussed in this thread, or for remote usage when there is
no user X, but not otherwise.  Does anyone know anything about this?  We
don't have users set up on the Windows box; is that the problem?

Norm