[vox] Linux for 880 Mhz computers ?

Orson Jones orsonjones at runbox.com
Tue Nov 13 21:29:34 PST 2007

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Chris Horsting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am replacing my mom computer with a new one. So, I want to put a light
>> weight Linux distribution on the old computer and ship it to some of my
>> relatives in Brazil.  I was thinking of installing Ubuntu 6.06 and then
>> changing the language setting to Protegees.  The computer is a Dell
>> Dimensions L series with 880 Mhz, 128 MB Ram, and 20G hard drive.  Also,
>> the operating system is Windows Millennium.  Can some recommend a
>> different distribution for a old computer?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Chris Horsting
>>

> Hi Chris,
> My home machine is a 800MHz PIII with 384 MB RAM and uses Ubuntu 7.10
> (GNOME-based). The response isn't stellar, but it works without a
> glitch. My average uptime is two to three months. I would imagine
> Xubuntu (XFCE based) would be a bit more snappier. Any specific reason
> for using 6.06 instead of 7.10? I run 6.06 on my servers only because I
> get updates through 2011. http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/372
>
> cheers,
> Sameer

I use Ubuntu 6.06 on a 733 Mhz with 512 Mb ram.
The reason I use 6.06 is because I don't want to do a full distro
upgrade over a modem. I have updated a similar computer to the current
ubuntu, and it also seems to work fine. I'd go ahead and install ubuntu
and see how it works. If 128 ram doesn't feel like enough for it, try
xubuntu.

Orson

--
I like an escalator because an escalator can never break,
it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator