[vox] Linux for 880 Mhz computers ?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Nov 13 19:08:58 PST 2007

Chris Horsting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am replacing my mom computer with a new one. So, I want to put a light
> weight Linux distribution on the old computer and ship it to some of my
> relatives in Brazil.  I was thinking of installing Ubuntu 6.06 and then
> changing the language setting to Protegees.  The computer is a Dell
> Dimensions L series with 880 Mhz, 128 MB Ram, and 20G hard drive.  Also,
> the operating system is Windows Millennium.  Can some recommend a
> different distribution for a old computer?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Horsting

Hi Chris,
My home machine is a 800MHz PIII with 384 MB RAM and uses Ubuntu 7.10
(GNOME-based). The response isn't stellar, but it works without a
glitch. My average uptime is two to three months. I would imagine
Xubuntu (XFCE based) would be a bit more snappier. Any specific reason
for using 6.06 instead of 7.10? I run 6.06 on my servers only because I
get updates through 2011. http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/372

cheers,
Sameer

--