[vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

Michael Cheselka cheselka at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:24:36 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I've found as things become successful( known quantities) people no longer
need to gather together.  There aren't too many computer clubs anymore.
People are getting plenty of Linux at work and searching for answers
using Google.  They usually don't want to go to user meetings to talk about
work related topics.  I saw this happen in Austin when the Internet took off
and people didn't need the Unix club anymore for Internet access.  Right
when the dotCom explosion happened people stopped coming to our club
meetings and membership plummeted.  We featured mostly Sun talks.
So as the number of Solaris users( SysAdmins) expanded, membership and
attendance dropped off from over 200 to less than 15.  There are still some Mac
clubs still around on some campuses I believe.  There is still a PC user club in
San Jose, also,I believe.  These clubs rarely evaporate completely.

Mike

On 3/28/07, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel1 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Bill
>
> I am not surprised: meeting attendance was on this trend back when I was
> president for a short time in 2005.  If you recall, the reason I
> resigned was that officers were not even showing up!  I've heard it said
> that the drop in activity is partly due to improved employment for
> Linuxers. I know that I personally was never drawn to meetings.  The
> topics are often of most interest to those who program for a living or
> primary hobby, not to the general public who may just want to try Linux
> out.  Also, I have a hard enough time finding free-time in my evenings
> without attending LUGOD meetings.  Perhaps, also, attendance is partly
> related to big improvements in Linux distributions.  Now just about
> anybody can get Linux running without help from a local group.
>
> Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts.  I am sure LUGOD would have
> ceased to exist altogether without you, Bill!  Now it lives on mostly
> due to your efforts in maintaining group services online, which I
> continue to use regularly.  I really can't think of any advice to turn
> meeting attendance around.  Perhaps they should go entirely to a social
> format until more serious interest breaks out.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan
>

> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Wow -- on the heels of spending two hours of my time for LUGOD, when I
> > should be sleeping before a workday, Nick just emailed me regarding the
> > last LUGOD meeting (the Ingres talk)...
> >
> > ...it seems only _six_ (6) people attended!  That's extremely depressing,
> > considering our speaker drove for at _least_ an hour and 45 minutes each way!
> > (Also, at least two other LUGOD members did a bunch of work to find an
> > alternative venue for that meeting.)
> >
> > What gives!?  I really feel like I'm wasting my time finding speakers,
> > and feel VERY bad that we're wasting somewhere along the lines of 5-6 hours
> > of our speakers' lives!  That's _shameful!_ :^(  (Can you tell I'm
> > flabberghasted? :^) )
> >

> > I recall a day when our meetings pulled in 30-40 people, twice a month,
> > regardless of the speaker or topic.  Where are these people now?  Graduated?
> >
> > So, time for a survey:  If you're still in or near Davis, and out here on the
> > 'vox' mailing list, but you're not going to meetings any more, would you
> > please tell us why you're no longer attending?
> >
> > Although I'm no longer physically _in_ Davis (though that will hopefully
> > change some time this year), and therefore not going around town and campus
> > posting flyers like I used to, I'm PRETTY sure I'm still doing the same
> > things that I did in the past:
> >
> > * Finding (hopefully!) compelling speakers/topics
> > * Trying to announce meetings two weeks in advance, with reminders the
> >   day before (or at least of) the event
> > * Posting meeting announcements to other local LUG mailing lists
> > * Sending meeting announcements to local newspapers/etc.
> [...]

When in the Potemkin Wired be a Potemkin Lain.