[vox] linux recommendation

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Mar 4 09:35:02 PST 2007

Ruben Safir wrote:
>>Using sudo has been perfectly suitable for me.
>>
>>In fact, since I'm always _me_ (my normal user), I don't ever have to
>>worry about "~" pointing at the place I expect it.  Once I've entered my
>>password once in a session, I don't have to type it again, so if I need
>>to go back and adjust or reissue a command, it happens right away.
>>
>>e.g.:
>>
>>  $ sudo aptitude update
>>  Password: ...
>>  $ sudo aptitude upgrade
>>  ...  <-- no password prompt this time
>>

> What happens when you need to bring the machine up in single user mode because
> a hard drive is causing problems?
>
> I'm failing to see how not having a root user is an advantage.

For a home computer, I see some advantages:

a) hardware failures are most generally addressed by booting a CD, not
using one hard disk/partition to fix another.

b) having a root password means someone must be root and take responsibility
for keeping the root password safe... most people are not good at keeping
track of one password, let alone multiple passwords.

c) sudo provides a maintenance trail to see what maintenance was done, when,
  and by whom.

Personally, I find (a) and (c) convincing.

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing