[vox] [fwd] Finally Frickin' Freedom Fone

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jun 27 23:26:23 PDT 2007

Seen on SF-LUG's mailing list:

----- Forwarded message from Asheesh Laroia -----

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:27:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: [sf-lug] Finally Frickin' Freedom Fone
To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com

There will be OpenMoko phones available for sale July 9, finally,
according to the head of the project.  More information at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-June/006005.html .

July 9's version won't have wifi but will cost a "measly" $300; the full
wifi'd and accelerometer and 3D-accelerated edition in October will cost
$450.  People do tell me that it's more important to buy a data plan on
the cell network than to have wifi even if your phone has wifi because the
cell network is always there for you.

I've been waiting for this since I heard about the project in January.
It's like the Trolltech Greenphone, only actually interesting.  GSM only
(in the US, that means T-Mobile or Cingular/AT&T/NSA); Verizon users need
not apply.  I just switched to T-Mobile in preparation for this (if the
other choice is funding a secret NSA eavesdropping lab, it's not really a
choice at all).

I, for one, plan to enjoy this beautiful, liberated, liberating
convergence device as a music player, mobile telephone, personal digital
assistant, and so on.  And regardless I'll see you all soon - I'm arriving
to SF in about two weeks.

-- Asheesh.

--
So this is what it feels like to be potato salad

----- End forwarded message -----

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/