[vox] "Tux Paint, again" follow-up

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 25 11:40:44 PDT 2007

So last week at LUGOD, I discussed a few issues with the current
Tux Paint codebase that were preventing me from making a new release.

* Existing SVG code used "libcairo1" and friends, which are a few years
  old and not packaged in popular Linux distros like Debian or Ubuntu.
  (They have "libcairo2", which didn't have an SVG renderer.)

  (Discussed in my slides, here:
  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/tuxpaintagain/page6.html )

* Printing was broken.

  (Mentioned in this slide:
  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/tuxpaintagain/page12.html )

Well, as of today, these things are pretty much fixed!

* Old SVG code remains (because Mac OS X and Windows porting folks
  were able to use it -- they get to include libraries arbitrarily
  when they package, since those platforms don't really have a standardized
  package management system like Linux distros do.)

* New SVG code written that utilizes libRSVG.

  http://tuxpaint.cvs.sourceforge.net/tuxpaint/tuxpaint/src/tuxpaint.c?view=markup#l_16519

* PostScript printing under Linux/BSD/etc. has been rewritten completely.
  It's smart about rotating (since Tux Paint can be either landscape or
  portraint orientation), and even supports paper sizes via libpaper.
  (Thanks to Henry House for a bunch of pointers with this!)

  http://tuxpaint.cvs.sourceforge.net/tuxpaint/tuxpaint/src/postscript_print.c?view=markup

* Mac OS X printing system was cleaned up by the current OS X maintainer,
  Martin Fuhrer:

  http://tuxpaint.cvs.sourceforge.net/tuxpaint/tuxpaint/src/macosx_print.m?view=markup

So now all I need is some heavy beta testing, and we can make a new
release.  (I was hoping for 'some time in June', and it now looks
possible!)

  http://www.tuxpaint.org/download/source/cvs/

Thanks for listening, and enjoy! :^)

bill at newbreedsoftware.com