[vox] DSL Recommendation?

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Mon Jun 18 18:42:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 03:53:30PM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for high speed/broadband service
>> providers in the Sacramento area?
>
> I always highly recommend Sonic.net.  I know they go as far as Davis,
> but cannot guarantee they service Sacramento.  (Honestly, though, I think
> they can do DSL pretty much anywhere the phone company can wire it.)

Sonic.net was not in Sacramento or Woodland a year or two back. They also
aren't in the city I'm currently live in (not in the Sacto area). Every
time I've moved since living in Davis, I've tried to get Sonic and
discovered they aren't in that particular CA town. They have to establish
a point of presence at the CO and apparently they've not done that
everywhere in CA. Best thing to do is call the sales office with the new
address and find out if they can offer service there.

As for having an old PacBell/SBC/AT&T static IP plan, if it is still in
their system, AT&T can move the service to the new location. So they told
me over and over again when I moved a couple months ago, but I went with
Bright House cable instead. Bright House rarely (if ever according to a
few long-term customers) renew the DHCP lease with a different IP address,
so it's almost like having static IP with that tad bit of uncertainity. I
don't believe they do business in Sacramento though.