[vox] DSL Recommendation?

Christopher James McKenzie mckenzie at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 18 16:48:32 PDT 2007

Hi

I know people will opine with wails all over the place, but really, AT&T
(SBC) is the best out there.

You can use the free dyndns to get effectually the same as a static ip
address (it works great - I've been using it for 3 years and serve lots
of data to lots of clients with lots of services 24/7).

The AT&T Tech support does not have a clue what they are doing.  They
will recommend you use things that they don't know the purpose of and
subscribe to services that they don't understand.

They have to be dealt with at this way, and you have to know exactly
what data you need from them - you can't rely on them to gain any
semblance of an understanding about how your service works, what it is,
what is offered, or what is going on.  I highly recommend quantitative
questions only such as "What is the URL that I need to go to to register
the DSL service?  It's something like blah blah blah - do you know
exactly what the address is?"

Getting past all of this, why do I recommend it?

1. Reliability
As long as you know what you are doing, my experience has been better
uptime and more consistent speed then any other provider.

2. Price
If you pay close attention to their deals you can get basically steals -
everything from $13 1.5MB/s DSL to $25 6.0MB/s DSL with and without
contract with no equipment (as long as you have the modem) or set-up fee.

3. Open
They never block ports or seem to really care too much what I am pushing
over my line.  I have heard nightmare stories about some other companies
blocking people's port 25 or so in order to be "safe" or what not.  In
my experience, AT&T simply doesn't do this - ever.

My experience with other companies is that they generally have more
knowledgeable (then a toaster) people working for them but they are less
reliable when it comes to connectivity and certainly almost always more
expensive.

~chris.