[vox] [fwd] OT: Calling All Linux Gamers [well, game developers]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 5 13:25:14 PST 2007

Seen on PenLUG's list... I've suggested they also hit sites like
LinuxGames.com and HappyPenguin.org, among others, as well.

Enjoy

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Ravi Simhambhatla <ravi at simhams.com> -----

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:08:29 -0800
From: "Ravi Simhambhatla" <ravi at simhams.com>
Subject: [PenLUG] OT: Calling All Linux Gamers
To: <penlug-members at penlug.org>

The Gist.

We are gearing up to announce an invitation for savvy open source game
developers to have a chance to participate in Virgin America's Inflight
Entertainment System, Red.

If you'd like to express interest in getting an invitation when they are
emailed out, please click here or send an email to: reddev / at /
virginamerica.com and tell us a bit about yourself and why you'd like to
participate in Red.  Remember, we are not asking you to perform any work nor
are we taking any submissions at this point.  Indeed, our attorneys want us
to make clear that we will not be obligated to compensate you or be
otherwise liable to you in anyway.

What is the Red System.

If you'd like to learn more about Red before you write in to express
interest, please check out some of the info that is floating around the web.

To see a youtube video that introduces the Red System, click here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=609i-OhFhoQ

Red is an embedded system and we would like to invite members from the linux
community to think about open source apps that might add to our offering.

Red System Development Invitational

Further details will follow when the formal invitations go out, but the
system is running a derivation of Redhat Linux 7.3 and TinyX.  The system is
very limited in terms of both memory and disk space and there is no

graphics accelerator hardware.   We are running TinyX in the frame buffer

but any Xwindows game that runs under X should also work.

Areas to Consider Before Expressing Interest

1.    In the spirit of open source, the license needs to be LGPL / GPL

2.    Platform - Redhat Linux 7.3

3.    Runs under TinyX (xfbdev)

4.    Max Screen size 1024x600 (Preferably configurable using the Geometry

Setting)

5.    Interface should be easy to use - wide buttons for touch-screen,

alternate keyboard interface (i.e. Arrow Keys, or other keys from our
in-seat QWERTY keyboard handsets)

6.    Due to limitations, it should NOT be using opengl libraries (GLX

extension), JAVA

7.    Preferably should not be using KDE/GNOME (if the binary size with

KDE/GNOME libraries is still under 5MB, then it will be considered)

8.    Should be using relative paths for dependency files (If that is not

possible, provide the compilation steps for changing the absolute path)

9.    The instructions and help should both be in English (plus for any of

the other 5 languages we will be supporting in the future)

10.   Ideally a "Single Window Game" (It is possible to have multiple

windows if the locates and sizes are configurable and do not overlap)

11.   Client Run-Time Memory should not exceed 30MB (less is better)

12.   X-libraries need not be considered in the game size.

For single-player games

1.    Binary size (including dependencies like audio files, images,

libraries)  - less than 10MB expanded

For multi-player network games

1.    Binary size (including dependencies like audio files, images,

libraries) for client - less than 10 MB expanded

2.    Binary size (including dependencies) for server - less than 30 MB,

runtime memory - less than 20MB

3.    Communication ports should be configurable

4.    Multi-player network games can be peer-to-peer between seats.  They

need not use a server, but they can.

5.    If multi-player game requires a server, please be prepared to quantify

anticipated server resources

Deliverables For Consideration Will Likely Include:

1.    License Text

2.    Runtime Size (memory from top) and Disk Size (expanded and unexpanded)

3.    Any Ports used (for client and server)

4.    Network Protocols used (for Multi-Player Games)

5.    URL where the game can/was downloaded from

6.    The Source Code

7.    The Binary packaged into a TGZ file containing the bare minimum files

(including all libraries required.  i.e. the results of ldd).

8.    Build Instructions

9.    Location of Playing Instructions (Could be inside the game or an HTML

document)

10.   Certain basic details about yourself

11.   Screen shots so that we can quickly evaluate the attractiveness of the

game

Questions should be directed to reddev / at / virginamerica.com

http://www.letVAFly.com <http://www.letvafly.com/>

Thanks!

Ravi Simhambhatla

Director, Architecture and Integration