[vox] Times Square Ball (off-topic)

Jeffrey Nonken jjn.lugod at nonken.net
Mon Dec 31 09:33:30 PST 2007

(Nothing to do with *nix)

This year is the 100th anniversary of the Times Square Ball. This
year's Times Square Ball uses over 9500 ultra-bright LEDs instead of
the incandescents of past years. It's brighter, more efficient, and
allows for finer control (you can even play video on the ball, though
it'll be pretty low resolution).

It consists of 168 triangles, each with 12 red, 12 green, 12 blue,
and 12 white Philips K2 LEDs, plus 9 white Nichia Rigels that light
the interstices.

I only bring this up because I'm the guy who wrote the firmware for
the triangles. Enjoy the show. :)