[vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Joshua Morris bullring at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 06:57:09 PDT 2006

And in the case of the HP laptop I was considering. They use a Broadcom
mini-pci wireless card which has no Linux support, I would rather use an
Atheros card since they openly support Linux with drivers and regular
updates.  The thought of paying $2600 for a laptop that I cannot use the way
I want to is sickening.  I mean sure they could update the Bios later and it
could fix all of this,  or I could use a Atheros PCMCIA card like I
currently do. But it is the idea that i cannot have the choice of what
mini-pci card to use if i don't like the one it came with.  As long as it is
a standardized card in a standardized slot it should work in my opinion,
that's the whole point of standardization. It just seems to me that
white-listing is actively working against that at the customers expense.

Joshua