[vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Justin Cummins sul3n3t at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 01:14:50 PDT 2006

BIOS whitelisting is the practice of having a coded list of wireless devices
which will be _allowed_ to run in a given system. The whitelist contains the
device and subsystem IDs of only permitted cards. For wifi cards, this
includes stock cards and generally hyper-overcharged cards from the system
vendor.

The problems with BIOS whitelisting are that it perverts the notion of a
standard interface (miniPCI in laptops), locks in only vendor
upgrades/modifications, and forces the system to remain obsolete when the
vendor doesn't allow newer technology devices in the whitelist.

The workarounds for the BIOS whitelist include risky measures such as
modifying and reflashing your BIOS and modifying a non-whitelist card to
have the device ID of a whitelist card (which confuses drivers, etc).