[vox] Kubuntu Package Selection

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Sep 17 13:04:50 PDT 2006

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Kubuntu Package Selection (Bob Scofield)
>    2. Re: Kubuntu Package Selection (Bill Kendrick)
>    3. Re: Kubuntu Package Selection (Jeff Newmiller)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:17:57 -0700
> From: Bob Scofield <scofield at omsoft.com>
> Subject: [vox] Kubuntu Package Selection
> To: LUGOD <vox at lists.lugod.org>
>
> I was wondering how Kubuntu package section compared to Debian's.  I assume
> that they are very close, is that right?
>
> On rare occasions I have a need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (which allows one
> to fill in forms unlike the open source readers) and Real Audio.  But I can't
> get those two commercial programs to work on Debian.  Are they easier to use
> on Kubuntu?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

In K(Ubuntu) realplay is the package from the following source(add it to
your list) - it installed but I haven't tested it much. What also worked
was downloading the .bin from realplayer.com and using I think fakeroot
to build a deb that you can install using the package system(as opposed
to running it from just the bin)

## CANONICAL COMMERCIAL REPOSITORY (Hosted on Canonical servers, not Ubuntu
## servers. RealPlayer10, Opera and more to come.)
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main

Acrobat(acroread) is in and seem to work fine, even in
firefox(mozilla-acroread).
This appears to be in the multi-verse.

See this page for more details http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper, I
think the realplay is likely to work on Debian from the source above.

Alex