[vox] Kubuntu Package Selection

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Sep 17 11:38:37 PDT 2006

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I was wondering how Kubuntu package section compared to Debian's.  I assume
> that they are very close, is that right?
>
> On rare occasions I have a need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (which allows one
> to fill in forms unlike the open source readers) and Real Audio.  But I can't
> get those two commercial programs to work on Debian.  Are they easier to use
> on Kubuntu?

(K)Ubuntu has different classes of packages, depending on support and
free status.  How well non-free software works is a bit of a crapshoot...
if base library updates break a non-free package, you have to wait until
the owner updates the software and the package maintainer updates the
package accordingly.  The fact that it is non-free makes "supporting"
it rather difficult, though.

Make sure you have multiverse in your sources.list file, and install the
acroread meta-package.  I don't use it, so I can't vouch for filling in
forms, but it is there.

I don't see any support for RealAudio in the packaging system... looks like
you have to fall back on vendor support for that, most likely because their
licensing terms require it.

----
[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/components

                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing