[vox] cell phone contracts

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Sun Nov 26 15:25:32 PST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 12:02:05PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sun 26 Nov 06,  9:39 AM, Marc Elliot Hall <marc at hallmarc.net> said:
> >
> > My wife's phone is the cheap Motorola model that T-Mobile offered at a
> > discount when I added her to my existing plan. I have a PalmOne Treo 600,
> > based on PalmOS (which I understand is going to be retired soon *sob*).
>
> For reals?  Scuttlebutt?  Or official?
>
> That's terrible news.  I love PalmOS.

Bill's post summarizes the situation on this nicely.

> > The Treo syncs well with my Debian Testing desktop system, too.
> >
> > Finally, based on the abuse I dish out to this device, at three years
> > old it is doing remarkably well.
>
> Well, that sunk it.  I'm now the proud owner of a Treo 700p.  I had an awful
> time getting the data off my Visor Handspring (which served me faithfully
> for many, many, many years) and onto the Treo.  It was surprisingly
> obtuse.  I wonder why Palm doesn't include some kind of updateer.

I didn't have any issues with that... I could sync my old Palm Pilot
data to the Treo out of the box. Haven't done that recently, however.
Who knows what's changed in the interim.

> Looks like I have a lot to learn.  This thing has a LOT of features.  It's
> huge.
>
> One question though.
>
> I don't suppose there's an app that allows me to somehow use graffiti?  I
> seriously don't think that typing is any faster than graffiti, and if I type
> for a long time, my thumbs get fatigued.

That was one of the first things I went looking for, too. Unfortunately,
I never did find a suitable application, and instead just learned to
like the keyboard. As a result, my thumbs are now an inch in diameter ;-)

As it turns out, there is such an application: MobileWrite.

http://software.palm.com/us/html/display_palm_product.jsp;jsessionid=FqfGvzg0FG3LJpsjJ6pCh0Qfgrk1HNw9kLT2XxzCcGvY42HVSZNc!1927860740?navCategoryId=&id=prod160529

I've never used it myself, so can't vouch for its abilities. It's also
non-free, if that's a deal-breaker.

What I'm looking for now is free software to play MP3s... I've got
this way cool 1GB SD memory card to play with now...

--
Marc Elliot Hall
www.hallmarc.net