[vox] re: cell phone contracts

Jeffrey J. Nonken jjn_lugod at nonken.net
Sun Nov 26 09:38:29 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:33:34 -0800 (PST), Cylar Z wrote:

> I'm with Cingular - just got a new camera/web-capable phone. I
>
> service - it's good since they just merged with some other carrier
> (I forget which one) and have a much larger network now. But I can

AT&T.

> Good question about the SSH client; I have no idea. I know that *I*

JFTR, you can get an SSH client for the Sidekick. At least, you can on
T-Mobile. ($5 one-time fee.) My Sidekick II was going strong until it
got stressed, now I have a broken display. (Still works otherwise,
though. Which at the moment means I can receive calls.) The SKII has a
full QWERTY keyboard, too, though it's still an all-thumbs device.

I should add that the SSH display on this is a bit squinty, though
readable. (I mean, when the display isn't broken.) I haven't seen it
on the SK3 so I don't know if they've improved it.

My wife and our roommates all have Blackberrys and the SSH display on
those is, as far as I know, quite readable.

I don't know how T-Mobile compares to the other services cost-wise
(which was the original subject IIRC). We have 5 people on this
account, including a teenager and a field-service tech, and other than
the teenager we all have unlimited Internet accounts. On top of that,
my wife handles the bill for this one. So I don't remember the
numbers, but it's a bit spendy.