[vox] Running Debian on a Laptop

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 14:16:55 PST 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 13:45, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I recently subscribed to the Debian-laptop list, and I see that some
> people are having a hard time getting Debian to run on laptops.
> Those who have older kernels especially have problems.  And it looks
> like solving those problems sometimes requires recompiling a kernel.
>
> So I was curious about a couple of things.
>
> 1)  Are there any Debian fans on this list who have given up trying
> to install Debian on a laptop, and have instead installed a
> commercial distro with more drivers?

One myth about commercial distros is that they have more drivers. They
don't. Most drivers are already included in the main line kernel, and
the few that can't be (e.g. nvidia, fglrx, or ndiswrapper) are included
in Debian as well as in other distributions. (You may have to compile
them, but module-assitant makes that incredibly easy). If some distro
carried a driver that wasn't available in other distros, Debian would
be able to pick it up from them pretty quickly, either by copying it
(if it's free) or by getting permission from the manufacturer to carry
it in non-free, or by writing some kind of package that downloads and
installs the appropriate driver.

The only thing you can really get from a distribution other than Debian
is more recent stock kernels. This is a function of the distribution
age (since last release), and on any distribution, you can compile a
new kernel from the lastest sources at kernel.org and have it work
correctly. As the installation kernel, Debian makes it really easy to
master customized install media with a more recent kernel (among other
customizations), and such an installer is indeed available for my
laptop (although I did not use it to install because I didn't know
about it).

I have directions for my Compaq Presario v2310us available at
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/Main/Compaq_Presario_v2310us
I gave up on ubuntu to install Debian instead.

--Ken Bloom