[vox] re: a dual boot system?

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Sat Mar 11 14:21:09 PST 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I like the Debian net install. But before you do it, you should
> (unlike me when I first did it): (1) know about either "apt-get" or
> "aptitude"; and (2) know what packages to download to get your GUI
> up and running. That's because when the first 100MB comes down,
> you'll not have a GUI.

The install manaul (which is in an incredible number of languages now)
covers this fairly well for Sarge; newer versions of it should be
covering it for Etch as well.

> (And I even had to get help from this list on how to burn ISO images.)
>
> Do people here think it's important for someone doing this to know
> how to do MD5sum?

It's really only so that you know that you've burned (and downloaded)
the cd properly. Otherwise you don't really need it.

> And here's a question I have because I'm planning on doing another
> Debian net install in the next few months. Debian has replaced
> base-config with tasksel. So how do you create your sources list now
> (other than manually) during your basic installation?

Actually, base-config (the package) has completely gone away in
unstable (and testing) being superceeded by packages which are in the
installer.

It's conceivable that apt-setup (the program you're asking about) will
make it's way into another package in the near future, but that has
not yet happened.

> Another question asked had to do with other programs. I cannot live
> with the XMMS music player because I like Internet Radio, and it
> plays CD's better than KSCD. So if he goes the Debian route and is
> interested in it he'll have to download it. I think it comes
> automatically with other distros.

Apparently rhythmbox, quodlibet, and kradio support it... so you can
probably select one of them to install.

Don Armstrong

--
"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim."