[vox] re: a dual boot system?

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Sat Mar 11 13:24:52 PST 2006

It's here:  http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

> I usually start with a small net-install disc (about 100MB?) to install
> the base system.  Then the installer allows me to fetch all of the software
> I want/need right over the DSL.
>
> (So instead of downloading and burning a large set of ISOs, which contains
> 10s of 1000s of packages I _don't_ care about, I'll simply download _only_
> the packages I care about, directly over DSL.)

Right, but this makes me uncomfortable because I may have to take back
something I said yesterday.  Yesterday I said that Debian was an OS for
sissies.

I like the Debian net install.  But before you do it, you should (unlike me
when I first did it):  (1) know about either "apt-get" or "aptitude"; and (2)
know what packages to download to get your GUI up and running.  That's
because when the first 100MB comes down, you'll not have a GUI.

(And I even had to get help from this list on how to burn ISO images.)

Do people here think it's important for someone doing this to know how to do
MD5sum?

And here's a question I have because I'm planning on doing another Debian net
install in the next few months.  Debian has replaced base-config with
tasksel.  So how do you create your sources list now (other than manually)
during your basic installation?

Okay, I take it back.  Maybe Debian is not for sissies, but it's gotten easy
enough for borderline idiots.

Another question asked had to do with other programs.  I cannot live with the
XMMS music player because I like Internet Radio, and it plays CD's better
than KSCD.  So if he goes the Debian route and is interested in it he'll have
to download it.  I think it comes automatically with other distros.

Bob