[vox] Biggest uptimes!

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Feb 18 17:09:37 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 16:42 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 03:31:37PM -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> > wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install a
> > patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because of
> > that?
>
> Heh, I don't think I knew that. ;^)

that is why debian.org was 'closed' for what seemed like a long time a
year or two ago.  The updated deb was in  their repository, they just
didnt apply it because they wanted those uptime numbers :/

Then they had to close everything down until they could verify EVERY
package to see if any were tampered with (none alledgly were) and
stuff..  It took a lot of man hours on  that one, for a corporate
setting that would not have worked too well...

> > Most other stuff can be upgraded without rebooting, generally anyway.
>
> Indeed!  I can barely install a driver or upgrade stupid Adobe Acrobat on
> my Windows laptop at work without it wanting to reboot.

most of that is a bad application developer, or using an older install
shield wizard, in xp anyway most reboots dont actually have to occur.

> Between that, and the simply bluescreen crashes that happen on occasion,
> this kind of thing really _should_ be impressive to non-Linux folks.
> (And one of the reasons I guess we have some uptimes listed on the LUGOD
> 'testimonials' page ;^) )

well a lot of that is driver problems, why xp started down the road of a
better HAL (hardware abstraction layer) although its not perfect, vista
is supposed to have an even better one so fewer things can actually take
the system down, even hardware drivers.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378