[vox] Why Ubuntu, Kubuntu?

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Fri Feb 17 09:09:14 PST 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 08:58 am, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've noticed from reading Distro Watch, and reading the LUGOD lists that
> Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very popular.  I understand these to be Debian
> offshoots.  Why are these so popular?

This is a bit like asking why a restaurant that consistently has
good food, good service and reasonable prices is so popular.

Ubuntu (of which Kubuntu is a special case) is completely free, gets
regular updates, has a predictable release cycle, is easy to install
and maintain, and (despite my recent posting) is relatively trouble-
free.  Most other distributions have at least one major annoyance.

-- Rod