[vox] Re: Mp3 Music For Linux?

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Dec 26 20:54:09 PST 2006

On Tue 26 Dec 06,  7:53 PM, Nick Schmalenberger <nschmalenberger at fastmail.fm> said:

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:40:26 -0800 (PST), vox-request at lists.lugod.org
> said:
> > Finally, why not create your own?  Despite what the RIAA says, you can
> > still
> > convert your own CDs to mp3 format.  Tr ythis:
> >
> > 1. Open up an xterm.
> > 2. Put a CD into your CD drive.
> > 3. type this: "cdparanoia foo.wav"
> > 4. type this: "lame foo.wav foo.mp3"
> >
> > and you now have your own mp3 file.  If you don't have cdparanoia, do:
> > "aptitude install cdparanoia".  If you don't have lame, do: "aptitude
> > install lame".
>
> cdparanoia works great but for a complete command line solution try
> abcde (a better cd encoder). It integrates cdparanoia, various table of
> contents (audio cd toc) databases like cddb, and various encoders like
> lame to make you a labeled directory of music files. It also gives you a
> choice of labels and lets you edit when there are multiple toc matches
> (being submitted by whatever users looked up cds that weren't already in
> the database or didn't like the entry that was there). I think most
> programs just pick the first one because I've never seen others give a
> choice.

Wow.  This is something to look into.  Thanks for mentioning this.

BTW, I wrote my own ripper/encoder in Perl.  I used a Perl cddb module and
if there are two matching entries, it actually does ask you to pick one.
The I/O is handled completely by the module.  It was really well done.

One really nice thing about my program is that you can have a directory of
files in some format like:

   blue_oyster_cult-don't_fear_the_reaper-dul.mp3

and by giving it "small hints" it'll rename the file according to whatever
semantic you like:

   "<FileName> (<Artist>).mp3"
      -> "Don't Fear The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult).mp3"

But abcde sounds really awesome.  Definitely on my todo list (and it has an
awesome name -- the author must have been pretty pleased with himself when
he dreamed it up).

Thanks for sharing!

Pete