[vox] [fwd] 1,000 Used Computers Needed for Hurricane Relief; Other Tech Relief Projects

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Sep 30 11:30:27 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:10:36AM -0700, DrBen Timmons wrote:
> Dear Lugod folks:
>
> I've spoken to UCD's Material Management top people and they are
> interested in donating equipment if LUGOD could help load the systems.
> We estimate that we could do 50 systems complete maybe more without
> monitors.  Loading a good LINUX package dumbed down to resemble Windows
> eliminates nasty licensing issues.

That's awesome, thanks Dr. Timmons.  I've forward your post to SacLUG
and RoseLUG, our closes LUG neighbors, as well as SVLUG in the San Jose area,
one of the biggest LUGs in the region.

I've also put a note up on LUGOD's front page, and will post a short note
to our 'vox-announce' list, to make sure everyone has the opportunity to hear
about this.

Hopefully we can get something together soon.  Perhaps a special Installfest
event earlier in October (we have a regular IF scheduled mid-month, last
I checked).

Good luck!!!