[vox] Grandma's Distro

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Mon May 2 02:56:07 PDT 2005

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Richard Crawford wrote:

> What would you all consider to be the best distribution for this sort of
> thing?  I'm leaning toward CentOS or White Box Enterprise Linux, since
> they're both based on Red Hat Enterprise, and should have the same sort of
> release cycle, making it less volatile than Fedora, and such a system would
> be easy for me to maintain remotely.  But I'm wide open to suggestions.

Personally, I saw go with the distribution that you feel most comfortable
administrating that can be easily, by you, set up to do the tasks your
grandmother requires. When it comes to having Linux for a novice user who
isn't going to administrate the machine, all that really matters is
setting up the UI for the target person and this can be accomplished with
a variety of distributions. More important is your comfort level with the
remote administration, hence my suggestion to go with what you like in
that arena.