[vox] Burning .iso images under Windows

Marc Elliot Hall marc at hallmarc.net
Wed Mar 30 16:40:03 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:14:01PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:00:59AM -0800, Ken Bloom (kabloom at ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:12:54PM -0800, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:
> > > Having already paid the Windows tax for this device, I'm not interested
> > > in spending more on disk-burning software. Does anyone have suggestions
> > > for freely-available programs capable of burning .iso images to CD under
> > > Windows?
> >
> > cdrecord has been ported to windows.
> > http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/cdrecord/en/index.html
>
> Beat me to it ;-)

GnuwinII is no longer in development; and the cdrecord and related
binaries available at that URL are... troublesome, relying as they do on
a host of dependencies.

I'm using DeepBurner, as suggested by Steve, as a "good enough"
solution.

> Bootable distros can be loaded to RAM, sufficient memory available.
> That's ~800+ MiB for Knoppix, but the LNX-BBC should run in ~128 MiB or
> so.  I believe LNX-BBC includes CD burning tools.

I am, in fact, also downloading a Knoppix image, to ensure compatibility
before passing the point of no return.

> Too:  don't do the full ISO set.  Get the netinst and start with it (50
> - 110 MiB).

Normally, that's how I'd do it. However, I can't be sure that my network
connection will be up and running immediately after starting the Debian
install, as I'm relying on a skanky wireless network and a wireless
chipset that is known to be a little on the bleeding edge of support
under Linux. :-( My workplace doesn't allow the connection of "foreign"
hardware to the network, either... a sensible precaution; but
inconvenient for me.

--
Marc Elliot Hall
P.O. Box 435