[vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:00:40 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:41:10PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>
> > And behold, Micah Cowan flailed at a keyboard and did expound:
> >
> > > The exception to this could be if a faulty video driver hung. But of
> > > course, if this happened to Windows, you wouldn't be able to get a task
> > > manager, either. :-)
> >
> > Yes, this is true.  I hadn't thought of that.  But even if my Linux box
> > had a faulty video driver, I'd still be able to SSH into it to examine the
> > situation pretty easily.
>
> As someone who has had to cope with exactly such problems in Linux, I can
> assure you that you are wrong.

I've had to deal with this before too. My ATI Rage 128 Pro couldn't
handle 3D acceleration, and it would frequently freeze up if it was
doing 3D acceleration. I could SSH in and kill the offending program,
and the display would become usable again.

I solved the problem by turning off 3D acceleration, and eventaully
got a cheap NVIDIA.