[vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:03:38 PST 2005

> 1) file permissions are set by 'umask' not 'unmask'.  I don't know if that
> was a typo in your email not.

Interestingly enough, I was using 'unmask' instead of 'umask', but
with 'umask' I have the same result, or lack thereof.

> 2) you will need to use 'gid=students' in conjunction with 'umask=002'.
> Only putting gid will give you a read-only mode of 755 for the student
> group, and only doing unmask=000 would do you nothing (see #1).  If you
> only did umask=000, that would probably work, however it may not be what
> you want.

I tried this, I think correctly, and still my folder 'S-Drive' shows
drwxr-xr-x.  If I chmod 777 'S-Drive' it doesn't give me any error
output, but the permissions stay unchanged.

At one point I wondered if this problem might indicate an NTFS
partition on the server, but I would think I'd get an error trying to
mount; and root has write permissions no problem.

I'm stumped.  What's worse, my Linux ignorance is much worse than I
thought it was...

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct