[vox] Local Linux-oriented PC recycling efforts?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 20 16:46:16 PDT 2005

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

on Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:14:18PM -0700, Steve Hargadon (steve.hargadon at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 7/19/05, Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:18:40PM -0700, bullring at gmail.com (bullring at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > I would be very interested in starting a PC recycling program to help
> > > resolve this problem.  It would be great to start a recycling effort
> > > here in sacramento and use the computers to teach computer repair

> > You might want to check with the Alameda Country Computer Resource
> > Center, which seems to coordinate activities with a few similar programs
> > around the SF Bay Area.  I'm not familiar with existing Sac area
> > programs, but encourage you to check for same.
> >
> >     Alameda County Computer Resource Center
> >     http://www.accrc.org/
> >

> CompuMentor in San Francisco works with most of the non-profit
> computer recycling programs around the country.  I spoke at their
> national meeting last fall in Chicago.
>
> Jim Lynch is the main contact there.  He and I have talked for a
> couple of years about how there is no pc recycling program in the
> Sacramento area, and even started to form a non-profit last year to
> address this, but I was just too busy workwise.

How tiead are CompuMentor to MSFT?  My read is that they get an
appreciable amount of funding through them and are engaged in 'license
purification' (ensuring valid MSFT licensed SW on refurbed systems) as a
principle activity.  This has always made me keep a wary eye on them.

That said, IBM did a nationwide non-profits & free software spiel a few
months ago in partnership with them, though very, very last minute
poorly publicized IMO.

Peace.

    18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.
    - http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/35.html